Go Back   Corona Sportsmen's Club > Corona Sportsmen's Club Events > High Power Rifle

» June 2019
S M T W T F S
262728293031 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 123456
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Online Users: 34
0 members and 34 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 241, 12-03-2018 at 02:47 AM.
» Menu

Old 11-16-2015, 11:01 PM

Default Looking for some coaching

I'm new to the club and new to long range shooting. I just bought a new rifle, scope and bipod, now I'm ready to put some rounds down range. But before I develop any bad habits I was hoping to meet up with some of you guys to lay down the basic fundamentals.
I'm local in Corona and I work nights, so is there any particular day any of you shoot?
Thanks,
Greg
2halletts@gmail.com
Old 11-18-2015, 03:00 PM
CSC Tactical Rimfire

I waited for one of the High Power guys to answer but ......
A few questions need to be answered before I can answer your questions.
This shoot is geared toward the Camp Perry competition.
What type firearm do you have? Caliber? Most firearms used are the AR style with M1 Garands and or M1A's also.
What type shooting are you looking at (our High Power is 3 or 4 position shot at 100 yards) targets are sized to give you the feeling of longer range.
You mention scope, in High Power iron sights are used.

If I might make a recommendation before you answer, you might try the Running Deer shoot.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. But what I'm looking for is just some advice and some coaching before I attempt to enter any competition.
I have a Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) chambered in 243win. The glass is a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50.
I know it's overkill for our area, but someday I'll move to a free state and hopefully have some wide open land to shoot in.
As for these events, I have an AR, and an M1a.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:32 PM
CSC Tactical Rimfire

If I may make a suggestion, bring out your AR and M1a to the high power match try shooting it and ask those there to give you some pointers.
The reason I say this is, every single person who has come out to "watch" a match, any match has said "Boy I wish I had brought my gear and shot the match". All of out matches are beginner friendly. Corona Sportsmen's Club takes great pride in introducing new/newer shooters to the different disciplines we provide. We show the shooter the basic's let them advance at their own speed and if they wish, go on to compete elsewhere knowing they are competent enough to do well.
Unfortunately your RPR is as you say a little to much for our range but a number of members have expressed an interest in long range precision shooting. Only problem we have is trying to work out the logistics (we just don't have the distance needed).
Who knows maybe someday it will happen.
I hope to see you at any of our shoots, hell how about all of our shoots?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:47 PM

Like I mentioned, I work nights, if I get off work early Friday night I'll come out Saturday morning for the clean up and the shoot.
I came out for the shotgun fun last year, wasn't planning on shooting, just wanted to see what it was like. Ended up blowing through 100 rounds of 12ga. Glad I brought my gear.
Btw, my name is Greg and I'll be in a dark blue trailblazer.